Makes : 10 buns Preparation time: 30 minutes + proving Baking time : 10 – 12 minutes
450 g strong white bread flour
25 g butter
25 g caster sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fast action dried yeast
300 ml warm, semi skimmed milk
125 g currants
For the glaze:
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon water
1. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and rub in the butter. Stir in the sugar, salt and yeast and mix to a soft dough with the milk.
3. Turn out on to an unfloured surface and knead for about 10 minutes until smooth. Knead in the currants until evenly distributed.
4. Divide the dough into 10 pieces and shape into bun rolls. Place well apart on the baking sheet, cover and prove in a warm place until double in size.
5. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 7/220° C /425° F. Bake the buns for about 10 to 12 minutes.
6. Prepare the sugar glaze by dissolving the sugar in milk and water. Boil for 1 minute and then leave to cool. Transfer the buns to a wire rack and brush with the glaze while still hot. Allow to cool.